Frequently Asked Questions

Are there extra fees charged for studying at RVS?

It is the student's responsibility to meet all of the other costs associated with attending RVS (for example, school books and supplies, special course materials, resource fees, and activities. More info:

What are your academic requirements?

All student applicants must be in good standing at their current school.  Applicants must also be able to show history of good attendance and work habits.

Can my child start school any time during the school year?

The school year begins in September and ends at the end of June. Depending on the goal of the student we accept students throughout the year. We are flexible for a student wishing to attend to improve English but a student wanting to receive high school credits must enter and complete fully each semester (Semester 1-Sept.-end of January;  Semester 2-end of January until the end of June).

How does my child travel to school?

Transportation is the responsibility of the parent or custodian. RVS has a transportation system and students do have to pay the full price of transportation (this fee is on the application form).

Will RVS accept my high school courses from my local school?

The high school will evaluate your transcripts and, if the courses you completed are equivalent to high school courses here, you will be granted credit for those that are required for an Alberta high school diploma.

What grade will I be placed in?

Students are placed age appropriately into a grade and then upon further assessment of the student, some course/grade adjustments may be made as necessary.

How do I know which courses to take?

A counsellor at your new school will help you to plan your program based on your English level, your interests and your goals.  We would look at the courses you finished in high school in your country and the marks you received.  If the grades you completed are equivalent to high school courses here, you would be given a test to see if you could be placed in the next level.  Our courses have prerequisites so one level must be finished before a student can enter the next level. 10 is level 1, 20 is level 2 and 30 is level 3. You need to take English 10, then 20 and then 30.

Does the school arrange medical insurance?  Is it provincial or private insurance?

RVS has a mandatory private student health insurance plan that must be paid at the same time as tuition.  Coverage begins when the student arrives in Canada.  Students are solely responsible for all medical and other expenses that exceed the scope of the health care coverage.

Will the students get an insurance card or anything else that shows they are insured?

Yes, students will receive a health insurance card upon arrival.

What are the requirements for a high school diploma?

To get a basic high school diploma in Alberta you must have 100 credits.

The credits must include the following:

*     English 30-1 or 30-2

*     Social Studies 30-1 or 30-2

*     Mathematics 20 Pure or 20 Applied or 24, or Math 20-1, 20-2, or 20-3

*     Physical Education 10

*     Career and Life Management (CALM)

*     Two Grade 12 courses (10 credits) in addition to English and Social Studies

10 credits at any level from:

*     Career and Technology Studies (computer applications, design studies, cabinet making, food studies,  fashion studies, metal technology, communications technology)

*     Fine Arts: art, band, drama, choral music

*     Second Languages: French, Mandarin, German, Spanish

*     Fine Arts: Art, band, drama, choral music

*     Second Languages: French, Mandarin, German, Spanish

How long will it take me to complete a high school diploma?

This depends on several things like your level of English upon arrival, your prior courses of study, when you arrived, and what your graduation expectations are. However, in most cases, students who require English as a Second Language programming (ESL) will take longer to complete the requirements than a student who was born in Canada.  Many students take four years to complete high school with a diploma.

Which universities will accept my Alberta high school diploma, and what are the requirements?

Alberta high school diplomas are recognized around the world.  Students from RVS can apply to any university or college and will be accepted based upon the marks of certain required courses.  For example, the University of Calgary requires students applying to a general program to have:

*     English 30, Social Studies 30

*     Social Studies 30

Three of:

*     Math 30

*     Biology 30

*     Chemistry 30

*     Physics 3

*     Any other 30 level courses

All students wanting to go to university must complete the highest level of English in high school (English 30-1) with a mark of 75% in order to enter university. Then they must complete four more 30 level academic courses (senior level).  All students in Alberta must complete a Canadian based course of Social Studies (history and geography), which covers Canada's government and Canada's role in the world. The two other required courses are Physical Education 10 and Career and Life Management (CALM) 20.

Does the school offer help with the legalization process required by the home schools of Mexican and Brazilian students?  Is so what help is offered?  Is there any additional cost?

RVS provides letters to each of the students certifying which courses the students took while attending the International Student Program. The letters set out the hours of instruction for each course and certify that the programs of study are fully accredited by the Minister of Education.  Schools provide final report cards.  We advise the student how to contact a consular office so they can be apprised of what the office requires to revalidate the marks. The revalidation is done for Mexican students by a Mexican consular office in Calgary and for Brazilian students by a Brazilian consular office in Vancouver, using documents supplied by the school and the school district.


The website address for the Consulado General de Mexico is; information found here applies to documents being revalidated by the consular office in Calgary.  The contact points for the Consulado General de Mexico office in Calgary are:

Consulado General de Mexico en Calgary

Address: Suite 400, 407-2nd Street SW. Calgary, Alberta, T2P 2Y3

Tel:  403-264-1259 email:


The contact points are:

Consulado-Geral Do Brasil Vancouver (Areas of Jurisdiction: British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Yukon and Northwest Territories)

Address: 666 Burrard Street, Suite 2020 Vancouver, BC   V6C 2X8

Tel: 604-696-5311604-696-5311 Fax: 604-696-5366

For information on legalization of school documents, please go to: DOCUMENTS

Document Actions