RVS' Preliminary School Re-Entry Plans Announced

Board Chair Fiona Gilbert and Superintendent of Schools Greg Luterbach announce, July 9, 2020, the release of Rocky View Schools' (RVS) preliminary school re-entry plans for September 2020.

July 9, 2020

Dear Parents/Guardians/Staff,

While it may be summer vacation for most, planning is well underway for what school and learning will look like in September and we wanted to share with you our preliminary plans.

On June 10, 2020, the Government of Alberta released its re-entry plan for Kindergarten to Gr. 12 schools beginning September 2020. It considers three scenarios:

At that time, the government announced that its preferred and likely scenario is for students to return under Scenario 1, and we share this hope too. Government will be sharing its decision by Aug. 1, 2020.

As Rocky View Schools (RVS) plans to resume school this fall, we emphasize that the safety and well-being of students and staff remains the foundation of all re-entry plans. Given the evolving nature of the pandemic, we will be working to minimize risks no matter the scenario by adhering to Alberta Health Services’ risk mitigation strategies and employing multiple layers of protection. Everyone in our learning communities will need to play their part and follow the protocols. We look forward to working with our stakeholders to ensure our schools remain safe and secure learning environments – after all, we’re in this together.

To this end, we invite you to review our preliminary re-entry plans, now accessible on RVS’ public website at: https://www.rockyview.ab.ca/school-re-entry-plan. Please note that these plans are subject to change as we gather additional information. Much of the information outlined in each scenario was guided by provincial direction and more than 17,000 responses we received from parents, student and staff. Through RVS’ School Re-Entry Survey Results, we learned that the majority of stakeholders prefer to resume classes with health measure under near-normal operations. While many stated it is pivotal that everyone stays home if sick, working together to minimize risks while reconnecting with peers and teachers was deemed of upmost importance to the mental health of all those involved and to the learning capacity of students.

While we await a decision from government, it is important for parents to be prepared if Scenario 2 or 3 were to be announced. Should Scenario 2 be announced, RVS’ Board of Trustees has decided that students will be broken into two cohorts with one cohort attending Mondays, Wednesdays and alternating Fridays, while the other attends Tuesdays, Thursdays and alternating Fridays. Days when students are not at school, each cohort would be provided work to be completed when they return to class. Wherever possible, siblings from the same school would be placed in the same cohort; should they be necessary, cohorts will be announced at the end of August. Should Scenario 3 be announced, RVS would look to increase the number of hours of work per week for most students, who would continue to learn with their teacher using online means.

We encourage everyone to review RVS’ preliminary re-entry plans as we await the government’s decision by August 1, 2020. We also ask for your patience by holding onto your questions until we know the scenario that will be employed. We look forward to welcoming our students and staff to safe and secure learning environments in September.

Sincerely,

Fiona Gilbert, Board Chair  & Greg Luterbach, Superintendent of Schools

 


 


Document Actions