RVS welcomes volunteers and encourages parents/guardians to participate in their school communities. There are a variety of volunteer positions within the division including field trip volunteers and in-school/class volunteers.
All volunteers are required to complete Alberta Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector checks, as outlined in Administrative Procedure 490 Volunteers, Visitors and Presenters Mandatory Record Checks. These must be provided by the RCMP and not through an online check/service provider.
- Volunteers can download Administrative Form 490-A Criminal Record / Vulnerable Sector Check Application or pick up a copy at the school office. The application form includes instructions for completing the process.
- Once the Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector checks are completed by the police agency, volunteers must submit the documents to the school office.
- Individuals who continue to volunteer on a year-by-year basis must complete Administrative Form 490-B Annual Declaration Form – Volunteers annually to update information on Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector checks. The signed form must be submitted to the school.
- Volunteers must submit new Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector checks every five years.
This process adds another layer of due diligence in our effort to ensure the safety and well-being of students and staff. Volunteers must also be in sufficient health to complete the activities required of the volunteer position. Additional requirements apply to out of province field trip chaperones.
If you are interested in volunteering, please check your school’s website or contact the office for more information on how to get involved. Please note, RVS does not allow the donation of services, including construction services, as outlined by Administrative Procedure 5114 Donations, Gifts and Volunteer Construction Services.
Volunteers must complete and/or comply with the following:
- Administrative Procedure 491 Volunteer Coaches and Supervisors (if volunteering as a coach or supervisor)
- Administrative Form 144-D Consent for Public Use of Volunteer/Visitor/Contractors Images/Work
- Administrative Form 411-L Health & Safety Orientation Checklist for Volunteers/School Hired Contractors
- Administrative Form 491-A Confidentiality/Non-Disclosure Undertaking Volunteers
- OH&S Emergency Response Site Orientation (specific to each site)
Visitors and Presenters
Presenters – guests whose function is to provide information or in-service to students on school-related topics – and visitors – individuals granted permission by the school principal or designate to be on school property – are not required to submit a Criminal Record check, unless requested by the school principal. However, they must be appropriately supervised by staff at all times and may not perform activities that could be considered work.
Accidents, Injuries and Near Misses
Visitors and volunteers are required to report any hazards, near misses or accidents (with or without injury) to a staff member as soon as reasonably possible. Any personal information gathered in the report will be maintained in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. The school division will follow up on any injuries that occur on RVS premises.