The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (the FOIP Act) governs RVS’ policies and procedures for access to information and records under RVS’ care, custody and control. This includes material that is written, photographed, recorded or stored in any manner. The FOIP Act governs both the general right of access to information held by public bodies as well as the protection of the personal information about individuals that is held by the public body.
At a Glance: Access to Student Records and General Information
RVS collects information for the purpose of performing its statutory duties and as needed to provide programs as authorized under the Education Act. RVS may also collect, use or disclose information with an individual’s consent or as required by law. A person may make a request to RVS to provide information, so long as the information does not compromise personal privacy and subject to other restrictions set out in the FOIP Act. To make a FOIP request, fill out the appropriate form below.
- Administrative Form AF180-A – General Information
- Administrative Form AF180-C – Student Records (Note: Please review information on the Records & Transcripts page before filling out this form as you may already have access to these records, or may need to follow a different process such as MyPass.)
- Administrative Form AF180-E – Student Information Correction
- Administrative Form 180-F FOIP Request – Law Enforcement
Completed forms can be submitted to the Business and Operations team by email. Please note:
- You may be asked to provide proof of identity when making a request for personal information.
- There is a $25 filing fee for all general requests for information, in accordance with the FOIP Act.
- RVS will provide an estimate, if/as needed, to recover costs associated with providing the documents. This is in addition to the filing fee.
- RVS will respond within 30 calendar days of receiving proof of identity and filing fee (if applicable), in accordance with the FOIP Act.
- The response will either provide the requested information or explain why RVS is unable to disclose the information.
- The 30-day deadline may be extended if, for example, large volumes of records are involved, enough detail to identify the record(s) hasn’t been provided or third parties need to be consulted.
Administrative Procedure 182 Protection of Privacy outlines specific measures taken by RVS to protect the privacy of staff and students.
For additional information contact the Business and Operations team.
All records in RVS are retained in accordance with divisional record retention policies and procedures, as well as those outlined in legislation.
- Administrative Procedure 180 FOIP – Requests for Access to Information or Correction of Personal Information
- Administrative Procedure 181 Closed Circuit Video Surveillance
- Administrative Procedure 182 Protection of Privacy
- Administrative Procedure 185 Records Retention
- Administrative Procedure 320 Student Records