Students are taught through a combination of real-time online video interaction and instruction, online activities/resources, pre-recorded videos and through independent work.
Students are not expected to be online all day. Teachers are available online during the school day to answer questions, problem solve with a student, or provide feedback during task completion. There are also opportunities for students to work at their own pace within the day, week or topic.
Students and parents/guardians receive ongoing teacher feedback on student performance. Teachers are accessible and here to help!
Registration and Transfer
Families new to RVS can choose our online schools during the registration process.
Grades 1 – 9:
- Students in Grades 1 – 9 who have recently moved into the RVS catchment may choose Discovery Trails Online School as their school, space permitting.
- For Grade 1 – 9 students who live outside of RVS catchment, registration for Discovery Trails Online School is now open for the 2023/24 school year. Watch this space for more information soon.
Grades 10 – 12:
- Students in Grades 10 – 12 are welcome to transfer to Summit Trails Online High School throughout the school year. This includes students who reside anywhere in Alberta. Registration is now open for the 2023/24 school year.
To transfer to Summit Trails Online High School or Discovery Trails Online School as a new RVS student for 2023/24:
- Complete the steps on Grade 1 – 12 Registration.
- In SchoolEngage, select "2023-2024 RVS Student Registration."
- Choose Summit Trails Online High School or Discovery Trails Online School in the drop-down menu for school selection on the registration. The registration will be accepted based on availability and suitability.
If a current RVS student wishes to transfer to an RVS Online School, complete the following steps. Please also be sure to visit the school website before registering as it is important families are aware of how the schools operate.
RVS Students Transferring to Discovery Trails Online School or Summit Trails Online High School
For a current RVS student to transfer to or from an RVS school you must complete the following:
April 1 - Aug. 31:
- Login to the PowerSchool Parent Portal and access SchoolEngage on the left-hand menu.
- Complete "2023-2024 Request to Transfer to Discovery Trails Online School or Summit Trails Online High School."
Sept. 1 - March 31:
- Complete Administrative Form AF305-A Out Of Attendance Area Application.
- Complete a letter of rationale and submit the letter to the principal of your designated (current) school for signature.
- Submit the letter of rationale and signed AF305-A to the administration at Discovery Trails or Summit Trails.